Coronavirus Updates: The latest information on the global pandemic and campus operations.  COVID-19 Website


You are here

Pre-Professional Study

Pre-Law Advisory Committee 

A Pre-law Advisory Committee helps students with decisions regarding a law career. The chair of the Prelaw Advisory Committee is ohn Hermann. Professor Hermann is available during office hours and by appointment to provide advice and information on law careers, entry into law schools, and considerations pertaining to coursework at Trinity University. After choosing a major, a student should consult faculty members on the Pre-law Committee on questions concerning curriculum and on strategies that will support the student's efforts to apply to law school. 

The Pre-law Network 

Students who indicate "Pre-law" on their application to Trinity or otherwise notify Professor Hermann of this intention after enrollment will receive various notices through the year. There will be a social for prelaw students in the fall, speaker events, interview visits from law schools, internship opportunities, reminders about the LSAT, prep courses, and application deadlines, and information on the student prelaw fraternity, Phi Alpha Theta. 

Declaring a Major 

During the Sophomore year a student applies to major in a particular field of academic study. The choice of major need not be predicated on pre-law interests. 

Applying to Law School 

The Law School application checklist and other instructions for application to law school can be obtained in Storch Memorial Library 105. 

Health Professions Advisory Committee 

The Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) is composed of faculty members representing various academic departments who specialize in advising students who wish to prepare themselves for one of the health professions. Students who indicate a health professions area on the official application form to Trinity University will be assigned a faculty adviser knowledgeable about health professions curricula. The Chair of the Health Professions Advisory Committee is Jonathan King. 

Course Requirements 

Medical schools and dental schools generally have similar entrance requirements which are satisfied in the following way at Trinity University: 

  • 2 years - 18 semester hours, chemistry (9 hours, inorganic; 9 hours, organic including 3 hours of lab in each) 
  • 2 year - 16 semester hours including at least 3 hours of lab, biology 
  • 1 year - 8 semester hours including 2 hours of lab, physics 
  • 1 year - 6 semester hours, English - Writing workshop counts, FYS does not. 
  • ½ year - 3 semester hours, calculus

These courses must be for college credit and count for graduation. All science courses must be for science majors. The above requirements will satisfy most of the medical and dental schools; however, minor variations may occur, e.g., some schools may require 9 semester hours of English, not 6 semester hours. An entering student should normally expect to enroll in two science courses each semester of the first year. At a minimum students should enroll in Chemistry 1318 & 1118 their first semester. Students interested in other health professions areas should contact the person on the HPAC who advises that area or King. 

Academic Major 

An academic major is selected sometime in the sophomore year. The application for a major is available in the Office of the Registrar. The academic major can be any department or program in the institution; the major does not have to be in biology, chemistry, or any area of science. The major does not get a student into professional school. 

State of Residence 

The official state of residence can play a crucial role in acceptance to professional schools. A student's state residence is determined by the parent's state, e.g., a student from Connecticut attending Trinity University remains a resident of Connecticut. Most states-funded medical and dental schools permit only a few students to enroll as nonresidents. Students may apply to any private school of any state; however, the number of applicants to acceptances in these cases may be up to 4,000 applicants for 100 places. 

In general, a student's chance of acceptance to professional schools is best in his or her state of residence. One must be sure all minimum requirements for entrance in that state are satisfied. Students wishing to establish Texas residence for purposes of education should contact Professor King.