You are here

P-Card Policy and Procedures


The P-Card program has been established to provide a convenient means to make purchases and at the same time reduce the costs associated with initiating and paying for these purchases. The Financial Services Center (FSC) is responsible for managing the program. Other forms of payment including invoice billing, check requests and petty cash transactions should be used only when payment by a P-Card is not accepted by the vendor. The University has partnered with JP Morgan Chase Bank to issue the purchasing card and with Paymentnet, a subsidiary of Chase Bank for web site maintenance.


  • Purchasing Card (P-Card):  A Visa card issued to an employee of the University for the purpose of making authorized purchases of supplies and services on the University’s behalf including travel arrangements and/or entertainment expenditures. The University will process a monthly payment for all P-Card charges directly to JP Morgan Chase.
  • Cardholder: University employee or student organization officer whose name appears on the P-Card and is responsible for all charges made with the card.
  • Contract Administrator: Purchasing Director is responsible for administering the P-Card program for the University and acting as the main contact between the University and the bank.
  • Transaction Limit: Dollar limit assigned to the P-Card for each purchase made. A single purchase/transaction may include multiple items but the total cannot exceed the transaction limit, normally set at $5,000.
  • Default departmental account number: The University budget account number and object code assigned to the cardholder’s P-Card. Only one budget account number and one object code can be assigned to a card.
  • Post Date: Date transaction is posted to the cardholder’s P-Card account on Paymentnet. (Transactions usually post two (2) to three (3) days after purchase is made.)
  • Month-end close: Month-end close usually occurs at 4 PM on the second-work day of the month (except in January and June).

​Receiving the P-Card

  • Each prospective cardholder must complete a Trinity University P-Card Application, signed by the department/office chair/director and their vice-president.
  • All prospective cardholders must attend a policy and procedure meeting prior to receiving the P-Card.

Authorized Card Use

  • Cardholders are authorized to use the P-Card to purchase merchandise or services and for travel related expenses required as a function of their duties at the University. A cash advance feature is not an option with the P-Card.
  • The P-Card may not be used to purchase items for personal use or for non-University purposes even if the cardholder intends to reimburse the University.
  • The P-Card may not be used for travel related expenses that have not been officially approved by the Administration or for travel related expenses for non-University employees unless approved in writing by the Vice-President for Finance and Administration.
  • A cardholder that violates these policies or uses the card in inappropriate manner will be subject to disciplinary action by the University.

Using the P-Card

  • All Trinity University Purchasing Policies and Procedures apply to purchases made with the P-Card.
  • When making a P-Card transaction a cardholder should check as many sources as reasonable to assure best price, quality, and delivery.
  • Confirm the vendor accepts Visa, if not choose another vendor or process a Trinity Requisition Form.
  • When making a purchase in person make sure the merchandise total does not exceed $5,000 or the purchase will be declined at the point of sale. (Please note: Splitting of transactions to circumvent the single transaction limit is strictly prohibited). Inform the salesperson that Trinity University is state and local tax exempt.  Receipts must contain relevant details for each item purchased including quantities, description of the item(s) purchased, the price of each item, total charge amount and the vendor’s name.
  • When using the P-Card to pay for University related entertainment expenses write the name of guest(s), the business affiliation of each guest, and the business purpose of the expenditure. University Business Expense Policy applies.
  • When making a purchase by phone or fax the vendor will request your Visa account number and expiration date (some vendors may require a security code – the three digit number located on back of your card). Request the vendor send an invoice or receipt to you by regular mail, email, fax, or with your order. You will need this invoice/receipt for your documentation.
  • When making a purchase online, you will need to document the item(s) purchased and the final cost. You may print the screen at the end of the transaction or if the vendor sends you a detailed confirmation email you may use it in lieu of a receipt or invoice for documentation purposes.
  • It is the cardholder’s responsibility to ensure a receipt or paid invoice is provided for each transaction made with the P-Card.
  • Cardholders must instruct the vendor to ship merchandise to Central Receiving. Central Receiving will accept delivery but the cardholder or a designee is responsible for inspecting all packages to determine if the order is correct and bring any discrepancies to the vendor. The ship to address is as follows:
    Your Name and Department
    Trinity University 
    607 Kings Court 

    San Antonio, TX 78212

Using the P-Card for Travel

  • All Trinity University Travel Policies and Procedures apply to travel arrangements made with the P-Card
  • Cardholders may use the P-Card for approved University travel related expenses including airfare, registration, and car rental and hotel expenses.
  • Upon completion of a trip, list all expenses on the University reimbursement envelope (as required by University travel policy) including expenses made with the P-Card.
  •  Send P-Card receipts to FSC in a timely manner. Write the budget account number if the transaction is not to be funded from the default budget account.
  • P-Cards may be suspended if receipts are not sent to FSC by the end of the following month.

Charges made for Another Department

  • If transactions are to be charged to another department’s University budget account, the cardholder must obtain documented permission from that department’s budget officer before incurring the expense. The cardholder must submit the permission documentation and budget account number with the paid receipt/invoice.
  • When using the P-Card for employment recruitment expenses (airfare, hotel, entertainment, etc.) Human Resources must be notified, once approval is received from Human Resources the transactions will be charged to the recruitment account by FSC.

Merchandise Returns and Exchanges

  • The cardholder is responsible for contacting the vendor when merchandise purchased with the P-Card is not acceptable (incorrect, damage, defective, etc.) and arranging a return for credit or exchange.
  • The cardholder is responsible for making arrangements to return merchandise to the vendor for exchange and obtain the replacement.  Documentation supporting the proper resolution of the exchange is to be retained with original documentation for the purpose.
  • If the product was damaged in transit, all packing materials including the original box/package are to be kept while the claim is being processed.

Record Retention

  • The cardholder is responsible for obtaining documentation from the vendor (paid invoices, receipts, detailed emails, etc.) to support all purchases made with the P-Card.
  • Documentation (paid invoices, receipts, detailed emails, etc) are to be sent to FSC in a timely manner. P-Card statements are reconciled in the FSC on a monthly basis.
  • Documentation not received in FSC by the end of the next month (after post-date) may result in P-Card privileges being suspended for a period of time designated by the FSC manager. 
  • Statements and documentation will be stored in the Purchasing Office for a period of five (5) years. If a receipt from a previous month or year needs to be reviewed, request a copy from FSC.

Cardholder Obligations

  • Cardholder (or designee obligations):
  1. Detailed documentation must be obtained from the vendor.
  2. Entertainment expenses must be fully detailed.
  3. Documentation must be sent to the FSC as soon as practical.

Cardholder Verification of Charges

  • Cardholders are accountable for all charges made with their P-Card and are responsible for checking all transactions against the corresponding documentation (sales receipts, packing lists, order forms, etc.) to verify accuracy and propriety. 
  • FSC must be notified of any pending credits or refunds.
  • If a cardholder cannot submit receipts prior to month-end close, it is the responsibility of the cardholder to inform the FSC of any transactions that should post to budget accounts other than the default departmental account number.

Cardholder Charge Dispute

  • In the case of a disputed charge, the cardholder must try to resolve the dispute directly with the vendor. If a resolution cannot be reached the cardholder must notify FSC so a dispute can be filed in Paymentnet. If a dispute is filed, the cardholder will need to verify information with the bank.  The dispute form must be processed within sixty (60) days from the transaction post-date.

P-Card Security

  • It is the cardholders’ responsibility to safeguard the P-Card and card account number at all times.
  • Cardholders must not allow non-university or unauthorized personnel to use their P-Card or account number.

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Card.

  • If a P-Card is lost or stolen, notify Paymentnet immediately at 1-800-270-7760. Representatives are available 24/7.
  • Cardholders must also notify FSC the same day or the next workday.
  • The cardholder will receive a replacement card (with a new Visa account number) in five (5) to seven (7) working days.
  • A P-Card found after being reported lost or stolen must be cut in half and forward to FSC.

Cardholders Separation from the University

  • Prior to separation from the University, the cardholder must surrender the P-Card and the current month documentation to FSC.

P-Card Cancellation

  • The P-Card may be cancelled at the request of the cardholder, chair or an administrative officer of the University.
  • The P-Card may be cancelled by the FSC manager if it is determined that the cardholder consistently does not adhere to the P-Card policy, and does not improve after two P-Card suspensions.